|Tuesday, February 4, 1902 - page 2, columns 5 & 6
The Magnificent Success of a Firm
Denton, Cottier & Daniels prepares itself for its 75th Anniversary.
What has been accomplished by a leading Music House in three-quarters of a Century.
- Who established the business and how much it has grown since 1827.
- The various departments of the store.
Caption under picture reads "The Store in 1868."
This week marks the seventy-fifth year since the establishment of the music company of Denton, Cottier & Daniels and the firm will celebrate its success in an appropriate manner. The firm can look back with pride on its seventy-five years of continuous success, especially when one considers that very few businesses, which started back then, are still in existence.
In 1827, three-quarters of a century ago, this firm was established by James D. Sheppard, and to him goes the honor of having brought the first piano to Buffalo. Later the firm changed its name to Sheppard & Cottier when the late Hugh Cottier entered the firm. In 1867 Mr. Sheppard retired and he was replaced by Robert Denton, who was well known as an accomplished organist and music teacher. The business' great growth to a large extent can be attributed to Mr. Denton's popularity.
In 1888 the name of William H. Daniels, the current County Treasurer, was added. Mr. Daniels has been with the firm for thirty years. His knowledge of the music business contributed to the thriving of the firm and through his energy the firm has become the largest music house in the country.
The members of the firm were asked what led to their great prosperity. Their answer was that from the beginning it was the music house's decision only to sell pianos of the highest quality and greatest durability; to this decision they owe their success. They are in a position to purchase items in great quantity and therefore at lower prices; they can pass the savings on to their customers, thereby making themselves true friends to the consumers. Since the customer is pleased, he tells others and that in turn brings in new customers. When the customer leaves, he knows that his purchase is exactly as it was represented, nothing more, nothing less; and he has the security of knowing that the price he paid is a good one. Naturally the music house has continuously-running advertisements in the newspapers, and they say these account for much of the current celebration and steady growth of the business. With unlimited capital at their disposal they are in a position to seek out the best crafted instruments and this is a boon for their customers. In addition to their inventory of Steinway Pianos, which the firm has carried for over forty years, they carry such standards of the trade as Krakauer, Fischer, Ludwig, A.D. Chase, Smith & Barnes, Steck, Mason & Hamlin, and others.
Since its humble beginnings seventy-five years ago the company has expanded to the point where it now occupies the entire five-story building at No. 269 - 271 Main Street, which extends out to No. 9 East Swan Street. Every floor of the building generates a great deal of business activity; there's always something new to find, all things novel and fine, and at any time of the day you'll find satisfied, happy customers.
The first floor has an immense stock of music for string instruments, featuring all the standard titles plus classical and popular publications. In the Department of Musical Instruments you'll find mandolins, violins, guitars, banjoes, music boxes, tin instruments and just about everything else to do with music.
The second floor has a roomy recital hall and the third, fourth and fifth floors are divided up into various display areas where over twenty pianos of various manufacture can be found. These rooms are among the finest and largest in the country. If someone's looking for a piano but can't find one to suit him here, then one can conclude with certainty that the individual really doesn't want to buy a piano.
The Repair Department is in the section of the building located on Swan Street and it is a very important branch of the company. A great number of skilled men are busy tuning, repairing, adjusting and polishing - incidently this is where pianos are taken apart and rebuilt as good as new.
This music house's business isn't limited to the Buffalo area. The territory, in which this firm does business, includes all of Western New York and Pennsylvania and extends through and past Ohio.
[Column 7 starts here]
This business has really embraced the concept that one customer always leads to another.
The firm's reputation for reliability and dependability has earned it the people's trust. They have always kept their word and it has always been their policy never to have a customer who is not fully satisfied. The firm wants each customer to be able to say with pride, "I bought it at Denton, Cottier & Daniels."
To celebrate their seventy-five year anniversary the firm will run a special sale this week and during this Gala Week there will be bargains in every department of the house. It will be an anniversary sale of extraordinary value and it should be attended by everyone.
Caption under picture of bottom of columns 5 and 6 reads "The store as it looks today."