Biographies for Frank Dörfler, Jakob H. Ullenbruch, Chas. F. Rohde, Anton J. Kuhn, and William B. Kamprath
Mr. Frank Dörfler was born on February 14, 1870 in Lichtenberg, Bavaria. He was the son of master tailor Martin Dörfler and his wife Barbara, nee Schwabl. He attended the local school and apprenticed in his father's trade. In 1883 the enterprising and daring 13-year-old boy emigrated to the United States and visited an uncle who lived here in Buffalo. Since he found gainful employment he stayed here. Two years later his father arrived and established his own business with Frank's assistance. When Frank was 18 years of age he became a foreman at the clothing warehouse of Mr. Brook. He was employed in this capacity for 10 years and then he became foreman and pattern maker with the large clothing manufacturer, M. Wile & Co., which was located at 77 Swan Street. Mr. Dörfler had learned pattern drawing and fabric cutting in New York and Cleveland. Today he is considered one of the most capable and best pattern makers in the country and he has a lucrative position.
Mr. Dörfler has taken many long trips and he has been in all parts of the United States. He is a member of the Order of the Orioles, Branch No. 56 of the C.M.B.A., and other organizations. Mr. Dörfler is a prominent member of the Humboldt Club and one of its founders. Since August 26, 1896 he has been happily married and he is the father of 3 growing children: John, Frank, and Elisabeth. Mr. Dörfler is a popular and welcome person in all circles in which he travels. He is loved and valued for his excellent personality.
Caption under picture at upper right reads Frank Dörfler
Jakob H. Ullenbruch
Mr. Jakob H. Ullenbruch is one of the best opticians in Buffalo. His business is located at 450 Main Street. Mr. Ullenbruch comes from the old fatherland and has remained a good German in the new homeland while also taking his duties as a citizen of this country seriously. He has always tried to promote the public welfare and fight for truth and justice. Mr. Ullenbruch enjoys the respect and admiration of the German Catholic community of this city. The large number of posts he has held in various German Catholic organizations over the years attests to this. Mr. Ullenbruch has also been active in politics. He has played a significant role within the Democratic Party. In 1908 he was nominated by his party to run for the office of supervisor in the Town of West Seneca. One can only wonder why he was not elected. Jakob H. Ullenbruch is a man who has been on every administrative committee and who has offered the electorate the guarantee of honest and conscientious administration. Mr. Ullenbruch also enjoys a well deserved good reputation as a businessman. In short the German community has every reason to be proud to have such a man in its midst.
Jakob H. Ullenbruch was born on March 28, 1858 in Hannebach on the Eiffel in the Rhine Province, where his father, Joseph Ullenbruch, owned a hotel and a store. His mother was Mrs. Christine Ullenbruch, nee Hilger. The boy attended the Catholic church school in his district until his eleventh year. Then he was at the academy in Bonn for 3 years. In 1871 he emigrated with his parents to America. The family settled in Detroit, Michigan. There the young man attended Bryant & Stratton Business College, from which he graduated in 1873. He chose the profession of optometry. He found employment at the optometry business of L. Balck & Co. He stayed there until 1882. He worked for 2 years in the workshop, and then he apprenticed for another 2 years in the retail business, in order to qualify for employment in the wholesale department. In 1876 he took a special course with the well known eye doctor Dr. Eugene Smith. Thus Mr. Ullenbruch learned the business from the ground up and educated himself to become a capable and experienced optometrist. In 1881 he settled in Buffalo, where he ran the Optical Institute of J.M. Ollendorff at 274 Main Street. The business grew rapidly under his competent management. In May 1896 Mr. Ullenbruch relocated his store to 286 Main Street and a year later he went to 580 Main Street, where he opened a jewelry business, which has since relocated to its current location at 450 Main Street.
Caption under picture at lower left reads Jakob H. Ullenbruch
Currently he is working at his old profession, in which he has accomplished so much that he can be counted among the best opticians in the country.
As a true son of the church Mr. Ullenbruch regularly takes part in Catholic activities. He is a member of many Catholic organizations including the Knights of Columbus. He is a former trustee of St. Louis Church. He was president of the St. Louis Church Branch 15 of the C.M.B.A., and president of the Catholic Institute Council No. 174 C.B.L. For many years he was treasurer of the Buffalo Catholic Institute. Currently he belongs to Fourteen Holy Helpers Church in Gardenville, where he has his family home. Earlier he was president of the C.M.B.A. of Gardenville and president of the Gardenville Businessmens Association. On November 27, 1879 Mr. Ullenbruch married Miss Caroline M. Hechtner in Detroit. Eight children have come from the happy union. Mr. Ullenbruch's parents have both died.
The Optical Institute, which Mr. Ullenbruch manages, is immensely popular in this city. It's comfortably situated in the center of the Buffalo business district and it is stocked with the most modern equipment. The clientele is conscientiously and carefully treated. Many years of experience have enabled Mr. Ullenbruch to offer the latest advances in the field and to keep his customers happy.
Chas. F. Rohde
Mr. Chas. F. Rohde, the well known and respected German businessman of this city, died on April 18, 1911 in the prime of manhood. Mr. Rohde first saw the light of the world in 1873 near Meininghausen in the Principality of Waldeck. He came to Buffalo as a young man of 17 years of age. Through hard work, ability, and integrity he achieved a respected station over the course of time. At the time of his death he was co-owner of the Art Gas & Electric Co. His business was located in the building at 312 Pearl Street. Mr. Rohde's father died many years ago but his mother is still in the best of health. Mr. Rohde's sister currently lives with her husband, Mr. Fred. Dörr and is visiting her mother in the old homeland.
Mr. Rohde regularly took part in societal life. He was a member of the Chamber of Commerce, the Elks, the Orpheus, the Automobile Club, and he belonged to other organizations. In 1903 he married Miss Mary Wahl, who was born here in Buffalo of German parents. The marriage was childless. Mrs. Rohde, who so deeply mourns her beloved husband's early passing, lives with her mother in a beautiful home at 41 Oakwood Avenue.
Caption under picture at upper right reads Chas. F. Rohde
Anton F. Kuhn
Among the scupltors of the city Mr. Anton F. Kuhn has a respected place. His speciality is the manufacture of monuments and the excellent artworks of his shop can be found in all cemeteries in Buffalo and the outlying cities.
Anton J. Kuhn was born on May 29, 1870 in Essen, the famous industrial city in the Rhine Province. He was the son of coppersmith Karl Kuhn and his wife Maria, nee Greifenberg. He attended the elementary and secondary schools and then became a sculptor. At the age of 18 he received his diploma as the best designer in his class. After fulfilling his military obligation in Wesel with the 57th Infantry Regiment, he emigrated to America and settled in Buffalo, where he established himself as a monument builder in 1894 with a small workshop at the corner of Genesee Street and Fillmore Avenue. He was successful and soon had to build a larger workshop at the corner of Genesee and Wilson Street. This shop also became too small so a few years later he established a large monument building facility on Ridge Road at Pine Hill. On the same piece of land he had an elegant villa constructed into which he moved his family in the Summer of 1912.
In 1893 Mr. Kuhn married Miss Louise Neu. Nine children has come from the happy union: Anton J., Louise, Rosa, Flora, Karl, Harold, Walter, Maria W., and Roland.
Mr. Kuhn has remained a true German and he regularly takes part in all German activities. He is a member of a large number of German organizations and he has a large circle of friends. For the third time since his move to America he has visited the old homeland. He and his wife have seen to it that their children have grown up with a German education.
William B. Kamprath
So-called secondary education schools across the United States promote advanced instruction in various fields. For some time now they have taken serious steps to educate American youth with the most modern techniques available. Many promising beginnings have been made in this field of instruction and it is a pleasure to say that Buffalo participates in this communal effort. Buffalo leads the way in the field of secondary education. In September 1909 the first technical school was established here in Buffalo. In September 1910 three more were opened and in September 1911 a fifth facility was opened. More than 20 teachers are employed in these trade facilities and approximately 600 students attend them. Among the courses taught in these facilities is the art of book printing. The Broadway Vocational School of Printing at the corner of Broadway and Krupp Street was established in 1910 and it has a student body in regular attendance.
Caption under picture at lower left reads Anton J. Kuhn
The management of this trade school since its founding has been in the hands of Mr. William B. Kamprath, a young instructor of extraordinary ability who is among the innovators in the field of secondary eduation in the State of New York and who certainly has a bright future. Mr. Kamprath is of German descent and he is proud of his heritage. It is a pleasure to be able to relate this fact. It does credit to the German element of this city that so many of Buffalo's educators are of German descent.
William B. Kamprath was born on September 3, 1887 in Buffalo. His father, George G. Kamprath, who has been employed by the Pullman Car Shop for 30 years, came from Monroe, Michigan. His mother, Mrs. Maria Kamprath, nee Muntz, is a native Buffalonian. German blood flows through both sides of Mr. Kamprath's family. His grandparents, on his father's and his mother's side, came from the old fatherland to America. Both famiies came from the Prussian Province of Saxony. Although they were born here both his parents speak very good German and Mr. William B. Kamprath himself is fluent in the tongue of his forefathers and he knows how to express himself correctly in German. Until his confirmation the studious lad attended the congregation school of Emmaus Evangelical Lutheran Church. Here he developed his love of teaching. He attended 8th and 9th grade at Public School 39, from which he graduated in 1902. During his last year at school he was awarded the Ketchum Medal for Leadership and Academic Achievement. Then he went to Masten Park High School, from which he graduated from the 3-year program in 1905. In his last year of study he competed in the essay contest open to all high school students in Buffalo. For his essay on the Human Society he was awarded the Senior First Prize. The essay was published in an issue of American Eloquence.
After graduating from high school Mr. Kamprath decided to become a teacher. Towards this end he took the one-year course as a post graduate at Masten Park High School. Then for 2 years he attended the Teachers Training School, from which he graduated in 1908. After passing his city and state teacher's exam with distinction he was employed as a teacher.
As a teacher and school administrator Mr. Kamprath has multi-faceted ability. For 3 years in 1907 through 1909 he was employed at the summer school as a teacher of iron and wood trades. In 1910 and 1911 he worked as a summer school teacher at the Broadway Vocational School of Printing in one of the 4-week courses which prepares students for admission into the school. Furthermore Mr. Kamprath was employed for 3 years in the night school. From 1907 to 1909 he was at School No. 44, where he taught citizenship to German immigrants.
Remainder of biography for William B. Kamprath can be found on Webpage 46
Caption under picture at upper right reads William B. Kamprath