Biographies for Henry Kamphausen, Michael Schwarzmeier, August H.G. Schröder, Nikolaus Fitscher, Fritz F. Tappe, and Hermann Greinert
Mr. Henry Kamphausen was born on February 5, 1855 in Cologne on the Rhine as the son of goldsmith Johann Baptist Kamphausen and his wife Louise, nee Reitinger. He attended the excellent schools in his home district and later chose the barber's trade. In 1879 he took the position of barber in the steamer Waesland, which was owned by the Red Star Line and sailed between Antwerp and New York. On the second trip the steamer encountered a fearsome storm and was forced to remain out on the high sea for 3 weeks. When the steamer reached New York Kamphausen left the ship and found employment as a barber. Later he worked in Mariden, Connecticut where he met his wife, Minna Amis, who was born in the Rhine Palatinate. They married December 1, 1885. After that Mr. Kamphausen became self employed and in Pontiac, Michigan he opened a barbershop, with which he had great success. Later he bought an elegant tavern in that city but due to various circumstances in a short time he lost his savings. His courage did not fail him. He temporarily left his family in Pontiac and he came to Buffalo. That was 1892. Three times he went back to Germany. The last time he took a 16 month trip in which he represented a firm.
Caption under picture at lower left reads Henry Kamphausen
But longing for his family brought him back to Buffalo, where he currently manages a barbering business on Genesee Street.
His wife gave him 9 children, of which 7 are still living. The 4 older were born on Pontiac, Michigan and the 5 younger children were born in Buffalo. The eldest son, John, was born on June 12, 1886. He drowned on April 14, 1891. The names of the living children are Louise, Laura, Karl, Julia, Elmer, Florence, and Daniel.
Mr. Kamphausen is an active member of the Orpheus Singing Society and enjoys the respect of all who come in contact with him.
Michael Schwarzmeier was born on April 27, 1860 in Ragenvies in the Upper Bavarian District. He was the son of Adam and Barbara Schwarzmeier. The father was a farmer and young Michael apprenticed in the honorable trade of shoemaking after leaving school. He educated himself to become a good practitioner of his trade and in 1881 he emigrated to America. He settled in Buffalo. For 8 years he worked at his profession but he did not find the work agreeable so he found other employment. Mr. Schwarzmeier established a restaurant and over the course of time it has become a very lucrative business in part due to the owner's great popularity. Within his establishment one finds a spacious hall suitable for assemblies and organizational celebrations. Furthermore he is the owner of the Owl Theater which not only shows moving pictures but also offers Vaudeville productions. The Owl Theater has become a well frequented place of recreation on Jefferson Avenue.
Mr. Schwarzmeier has a very lively interest in German affairs. He is a valued member of St. Boniface Church. He is a member of the Frohsinn, the Sängerbund, and the Bavaria.
In 1882 he married Victoria Ringler. Four children have come from the happy union. The children are Rosie, wife of Mr. D. Enderson; Frank, Tilly, and Christian. Mr. Schwarzmeier lives with his family in a friendly home at 664 - 672 Jefferson Avenue. His place of business is located at 664 - 670 Jefferson Avenue.
Anyone who comes in contact with Mr. Michael Schwarzmeier on business or social occasions learns to value and love him for his excellent German character. It's no wonder that his circle of friends in this city is so large.
Caption under picture at upper right reads Michael Schwarzmeier
August H. C. Schröder
The German Military Brigade has Mr. August H. C. Schröder to thank for its establishment. It was Mr. Schröder's idea to take 5 separate military organizations and combine them into one brigade. Mr. Schröder was born on May 8, 1851 in Bohlsen, which is near Oelzen in the Province of Hannover. He was the son of farmer Christoph Schröder and his wife. He attended the public school in his home district and spent 2 years in the agricultural school in Suderburg, where he studied farming. He fulfilled his military obligation in Potsdam with the Kaiser's Husar Lifeguards and then he returned to farming. He took over the management of an estate in Mecklenberg-Schwerin for 2 years. Then for a year he was an inspector of estates for Count Foss. For a year he was an administrator of estates of Rono in Mecklenburg-Schwerin. In 1879 he emigrated to the United States. He landed on March 3rd. He came to Buffalo and first worked for Pratt & Letchworth Works. He learned photo engraving and found work in this field at the Buffalo Express, where he worked for 19 years. Then he took a position at the Electric City Engraving Co., where he is currently employed and is considered one of the most capable men in his field.
On April 18, 1886 he established the German Soldiers Assocation, of which he was first lieutenant. He advanced in the next 3 years to the rank of cavalry captain and after 3 more years to the rank of major. In 1891 the first squadron of the German Dragoons was called into being and Mr. Schröder held the rank of captain. In 1893 a second squadron was established and these two squadrons formed the first Dragoon Regiment. Mr. Schröder became regimental commandant with the rank of first lieutenant. In 1900 it occurred to him to united the military organizations into a brigade and he was elected brigade commander. After 8 years of service he surrendered command but 2 years later he was forced to resume command and to this day he holds the post to the satisfaction of the brigade. Mr. Schröder enjoys great popularity among his comrades. His goal-minded and decisive leadership is to thank for the brigade's prosperous status. It has excellent standing among the German societies of this city.
Mr. Schröder is also a member of the Order of Odd Fellows and the Encampment Ranks. He held the position of overlord for 2 years and for 3 years he was grand marshall of the Erie District No. 2.
Caption under picture at lower left reads August H.C. Schröder
On February 6, 1880 he married Miss Therese Meyer. The happy union has produced 5 children - 2 girls and 3 boys. First Lieutenant Schröder lives with his family in a cozy home at 160 Watson Street.
Mr. John Nikolaus Fitscher is one of the best known and loved old German citizens of the East Side. He is a quintessential German Lowlander and an honored solder who first saw the light of the world on February 22, 1847 in Kuhstedt in the Bremervörde District. He was the son of master cabinetmaker Georg Angelus Fitscher and his wife Dorothea, nee Werner. He attended the public schools and apprenticed in the tailor's trade. On October 1, 1867 he became a 3-year volunteer in the 75th Infantry Regiment in Stade. He served 4 years and took part in the entire Franco-Prussian War. He participated in the campaigns in Metz, Toul, Paris, and the battles in Dreux, Madeleine, and Orleans. In Metz he advanced to the rank of non-commissioned officer.
In 1884 he came to the United States and after being employed in his trade for 3 years in New York he settled in Buffalo and established his own business. Eight years ago he could afford his own home at 402 Monroe Street. Mr. Fitscher plays a great role in German clubs and lodges. He was the founder and first president of the Entspektor Braesig Society and founder of the Teutonia Liederkranz Ladies Division, of which he was named president. He is a member of the Dragoons and for 8 years he was a cavalry captain in this society of honorable soldiers. For 12 years now he has been treasurer of the German Soldiers Association and he is a prominent member of the aforementioned German Military Association. He has held high offices in the Order of the Odd Fellows and he is a member of the Buffalo Orpheus, the Uncle Sams, and many other organizations. In 1885 he married for a second time and his family consists of his wife and the following 5 children: Henry, 38; Fred, 36; Lillie, 23; Hans, 20; Mamie, 14 years of age.
Fritz F. Tappe
Mr. Fritz Ferdinand Tappe was born on October 6, 1859 in Liebenburg, Hannover as the son of master saddle maker and upholsterer Heinrich Tappe and his wife. He attended the public school in his district and apprenticed in his father's business. He fulfilled his military obligation in Berlin with the 2nd Battery of the 2nd Field Artillery Guard from 1880 to 1883.
After this he made the decision to emigrate to America. He landed in New York on October 20, 1883 and he came directly to Buffalo.
Caption under picture at upper right reads Nikolaus Fitscher
Here he found work in his trade and a position at the firm of Messersmith, where he worked for 5 years. After that he spent 20 years at the firm of Kobler & Miller then he established his own business at 579 Sycamore Street as an upholsterer, art cabinet maker and furniture repairman.
As a true German, Mr. Fritz Tappe regularly takes part in German activities and he has excellent standing among the Germans of the East Side. He is a founder of the German Soldiers Assocation and the Dragoons. In this later organization he has held the rank of cavalry captain for 3 years. He is also one of the founders of the German Military Brigade, in which he holds the rank of major. Furthermore he is one of the founders of the Steuben Lodge of the German Order of the Harugari. He is a member of the Rhineland Lodge of the Odd Fellows, and other German organizations. He is always a welcome personality and he has a large circle of friends.
In August 1887 he married Miss Pauline Heintze. Seven children have come from the happy union: Fritz, William F., Pauline, Mamie, Louise, Florence, and Emilie. He lives with his family in a comfortable home at 196 French Street.
It was in the stormy year in 1848 that Hermann Greinert first saw the light of the world in the city of Zwingenburg in Hessen-Darmstadt. His father, Heinrich Greinert, held the office of Head Watchman of the Royal Hessian Police and he was a highly respected man. Young Greinert attended the local school and the academic high school in Benzheim on the Mountain Road. After graduating he apprenticed in the mold-pattern carpentry trade.
* Mr. Greinert fulfilled his military obligation with the 3rd Hessian Infantry Regiment, which was garrisoned in Darmstadt. At the outbreak of Franco-Prussian War of 1870 - 71 he participated in all campaigns and took an active role in many battles and skirmishes. He truly and virily served his old fatherland. One successful adventure from the war years about which he takes great satisfaction and which is very interesting we share with you here. On December 9, 1870 at 5 in the evening the 2nd Batallion of the Hessian Infantry and an artillery batallion were quartered in Montreaux. They had not yet settled in for the night when they became aware of the approach of the French. The Hessians left their quarters and took up positions in the field as a French Division made its appearance with a horn player announcing the advance. Mr. Greinert saw where the horn player had hidden, sprang on him and forced him to sound the French signal for retreat. The horn player did this under protest and the 11th Batallion of the French retreated back to Chambord Castle. Mr. Greinert received recognition for his presence of mind and this heroic deed earned him the Service Cross for Bravery.
In 1881 Mr. Greinert came to America. At first he settled in Brooklyn, N.Y. Then he came to our city, where he established his residence. His first job here was with the Boller & Rechtenwalt Planing Mill and currently he is an engineer with the Our Own Delivery & Storage Co. at the corner of Front and Georgia Street.
Mr. Greinert is a member of St. Matthew's Church, the Order of the Harugari, the German Soldiers Club, and the German Dragoons.
In 1874 he married Miss Maria Bender in Eberstadt near Giessen. Four children have come from the union - Heinrich, Margaretha, Maria, and Hermann. Mr. Greinert enjoys the respect of all and he owns a pleasant home at 14 Pink Street.
*German text for this piece of translation can be found on page 321 on Webpage 49
Caption under picture at upper left reads Fritz F. Tappe
Caption under picture at lower right reads Hermann Greinert