the Buffalo Orpheus and the Buffalo Saengerbund gave a grand vocal and instrumental concert at Music Hall, which was followed by a ball. The celebration was concluded on the following evening with a gigantic commers at the Ellicott Club, attended by the members of the Liedertafel, and the active members of the Orpheus and the Saengerbund, in addition to numerous guests of honor. On this occasion the jubilee society was presented with a beautiful floral gift by the Buffalo Saengerbund, a silver vase by the Buffalo Orpheus, and a silver cup by the Liederkranz of New York.
The Presidents of the Liedertafel were as follows: H. Weiser, 1848; G. Berger, 1849; J. Emig, 1850; J. Schmidt, 1851; J. Hindelang, 1852-53; J. Schmidt, 1854; J. Stellwagen, 1855; Carl Gruener, 1856; Carl Adam, 1857; Dr. Dellenbaugh, 1858; Dr. Edw. Storck, 1859-60; Julius Hoffmann, 1861-62; L.C. Duempelmann, 1863-64; H.F. Juengling, 1865; Sol. Scheu, 1866; Dr. Storck, 1867-68; George Vom Berge, 1869; Dr. Storck, 1870; Rich. Flach, 1871; Julius Rieffenstahl, 1872; Dr. Storck, 1873-74; H. Cosack, 1875-76; George Rupp, 1877; Fred. Hoddick, 1878-79; C. Behn, 1880; H. Cosack, 1881-82;
Caption under picture at right center reads The Church Home
Robert Heussler, 1883-84; Theo. H. Meyer, 1885-86; R. L. Seelbach, 1887; Jacob Stern, 1888-89; John W. Fischer, 1890-91; Adolph G. Frankenstein, 1892; Arthur E. Hoddick, 1893-94; Elias Haffa, 1895; Joseph Baer, 1896; Wm. F. Wendt is now serving his second year as president of the society.
The honorary membership list the the society included: Carl Adam, J.F. Behn, B.H. King, J.L. Lampert, Joseph Mischka, J.F. Schoellkopf, Sr. and Albert Ziegele, Sr.
To the Liedertafel, above all other singing societies of the city, belongs the credit of having awakened love for music and song among local Americans, and of having firmly established Buffalo's reputation as a foster-home of German folk-lore.
Caption under picture at right center reads President Fillmore's House
The German Catholics of Buffalo
By an order, issued by Pope Pius IX, on April 22nd, 1847, Buffalo was made the seat of a diocese of the same name, and on September 5th of that year the Right Reverend John Timon, at that time Apostolic Prefect of Texas, was appointed Bishop of Buffalo, where there then existed two Catholic Churches, St. Louis Church, founded in 1831, of which there is an account elsewhere in these pages, and St. Mary's Church, founded in 1843 by members seceding from St. Louis Church.
Caption under picture at right center reads Bishop John Timon, 1847-1867.
The "Weltbuerger" describes the reception of the first Bishop of Buffalo on October 22nd, 1847, as follows:
St. Mary's Church
The cradle of St. Mary's Church was old St. Patrick's Church, on the south-east corner of Batavia (now Broadway) and Ellicott Streets. On December 10, 1843, under Father Bayer, the first Redemptorist in Buffalo, holy mass was celebrated for those German Catholics who had seceded from St. Louis Church.
On the same day those assembled resolved to found a new congregation under the name of St. Mary's Church. On December 16th, 1843, the new congregation was offered the basement of St. Patrick's Church in which to hold its services, until a suitable lot could be found for the erection of a temporary church.
Father Alig bought the piece of property, upon which the present St. Mary's Church stands, on February 22nd, 1844. The work of erection
Caption under picture at center reads St. Mary's Church
was pushed so actively, in spite of the severe winter, that on May 12th, Ascension Day, the first services were held in the scarcely completed building.
The School was opened in January, 1845, in a house rented for that purpose. Soon it became necesary to rent a second house for the same purpose, as at that time immigrants came to Buffalo in great numbers from all parts of Germany.
After several years, the church proving too small for the constantly growing congregation, preparations were begun for the erection of a new and beautiful edifice in the Roman style of architecture. The corner stone was laid on April 24th, 1848, and on July 28th, 1850
Caption under picture at left center reads St. Boniface Church and old Schoolhouse
Caption under picture at right center reads St. Boniface new School House
Return to Indexes
Go on to Pages 132 - 136
Revised April 3, 2005