This institution which is in a flourishing condition, is not only an honor but also an ornament to St. Stephen's congregation.
Frieden's German Evang. Church
In the month of January 1880 a number of men assembled in the home of B. Steiger, on Madison Street, for the purpose of discussing the organization of a new church. They were Messrs. J.F. Berner, Gottlieb Frank, Chr. Schroeder, K. Huenemueller, William Schultz and others. The result of their conference was the resolution to undertake this work trusting in the divine assistance of God. The project met with approval in the vicinity where the church was to be located. Consequently the new congregation was organized under the name "Friedens  German Evangelical Church." Rev. G. Berner was called as pastor. Rooms were rented at the corner of Emslie and Howard Sts. in which church services, sunday school and other meetings were held.
It was evident that this new congregation should have its own church home. A church, therefore, was erected on the lot on Eagle Street, opposite Monroe with an expenditure of nearly $7,000. The church-building alone costing $2,200.  Pentacost of the year 1880 the corner stone was laid and on the last sunday of August of the same year the church was dedicated. In 1883 a fine, large bell was purchased by the Ladies Society, the Choir and Sunday School of the congregation.
The congregation and its parochial school, which existed about 10 years, made good progress. In the course of
Caption under picture at center reads Friedens German Ev. Church
 The German text states "It was understandable that the young congregation needed its own church for a home. This was erected at a total expenditure of nearly $7000, on a piece of land at the foot of Monroe Street, which cost $2,200." Return to text
three years the church increased from 50 to about 200 families. However, it took 13 years to pay the entire debt of the church.
From the very beginning a Sunday School and Ladies Society existed in the church. Later a Men's Benevolent Association and a Young People's Society were organized. The Ladies Society however, deserves special mentiion for its assistance in the various branches of church work.
In the summer of 1897 Rev. G. Berner who had been President of the German Christian Endeavor Society of the U.S. since 1894 received a call to devote his entire time and ability to this work. After deliberate
Caption under picture at upper left reads Rev. G. Berner
Caption under picture at lower right reads Rev. P. Speidel
consideration he resigned as pastor of his congregation to accept this call of the Christian Endeavor Society. Rev. P. Speidel of Creston, Ia., was chosen as his successor.
Later an addition was made to the church for the purpose of placing a new organ which has been purchased. In connection thereto the entire church was renovated. The addition, Organ and renovation costing about $3,000. Thus the interior of the church was greatly improved and more room for the Sunday School gained.
St. Paul's Evang. Reformed Church, of South Buffalo
This church was founded on the 30th of August 1895 by the Rev. J.N.G. Darms of Philadelphia, Pa., with 27 members, among whom were many settlers of this vicinity who for some time had been desirous of having the Gospel preached in their mother-tongue. The names of the charter and first members are: Carl Fr. Schillinger and wife, Mrs. Dorothea Kilguss, Carl Tingler and wife, Albert Bieler  and wife, Frederick Knack and wife, William Jaeger and wife, Dominick Huber and wife, Frederick Ried and wife, William Krummel and wife, Gustave Schulze and wife, August Jox and wife, Chas. W. Henning and wife, John Thom, Jacob Branch and wife, Benjamin Michael and wife, Christine Knorl, Heinrich Tugend and wife, Frederick Garvey and wife, Louis Pohlmann and wife, John M. Spitzer and wife, Louis Eisenhut and wife.
The first officers of the church were: Rev. J.M.G. Darms, President; Elders Fred Knack and Fred. Ried, Treasurer, Trustees, Chas. W. Henning and Wm. Krummel Secretary.
Energetically this little congregation immediately went to work, unanimously and with a confidential spirit the erection of a church was resolved and carried out. In the fall of 1895 three lots 107' x 104' were secured on Duerstein Avenue. On the Reformation festival, the 10th of November the corner-stone was laid and on the 23rd of February
Caption under picture at center reads Rev. J.M.G. Darms
A.D. 1896 the church was dedicated to the joy of all its members. Ever since regular services have been held both morning and evening. In the morning German services are held and in the evening the services are conducted in English. The dimensions of the church are 56' x 36', class-room 14' x 29', Lecture room 15' x 30', Tower 10' x 10' x 60', Vestibule 10' x 12'. In 1899 a parsonage was built. The entire church property representing about $10,000. The membership at present had increased to 180 and it embraces some of the most prominent and oldest citizens of South Buffalo. The following may be mentioned: Charles and Bernhardt Hammerschmidt, Christine Weimert, Christian Krummel and family, Fred Wendling and wife, Jacob Doetsch and family, Henry Luippold, Fred Schraft and family, Henry and William Eyring, Mrs. Geo. Niebuhr, C.W. Smith and family, Mrs. Ch. Marx, J. Sengbush , Henry Jaeger, Dr. Hammersmith, Henry and Fr. Brossmann, Charles Rechlin, Mrs. Philip Nehrbas , Louis Zittle, Mrs. George Smith, Henry Millter, Henry Mayer, Fred Yost, etc.
South Buffalo has become one of the finest locations of our city. Many beautiful residences have been built in the last years and the entire vicinity has been beautified by our ideal Cazenovia Park. Many sons and daughters of the most prominent and noble German citizens will select this locality as their home and the German language and customs will be maintained, thus the existence and growth of the St. Paul's church in the future is secure.
Emanual Evang. Reformed Church
In the latter part of the year 1883 this congregation was organized by the Rev. J.B. Kniest, D.D., pastor of the Zion's Evang. Ref. Church with about 30 families. A very favorable lot, 75 x 150 feet, situated on the corner Humboldt Parkway and East Utica Street
Caption under picture at center reads St. Paul's Evang. Reformed Church
was donated to the congregation by Mr. Henry Heinrich. A chapel 30 x 50 feet was built thereon in which Rev. J.B. Kniest and Rev. K. Kuss conducted church services alternately for several months. In October 1884 Rev. J. Storrer was chosen pastor of the congregation who has been its pastor up to the present day. In the following year a parsonage was built.
The congregation made good progress so that in 1895 it was able to erect a new church. The chapel was sold. The dimensions of the new church are 51 x 107 feet. It contains a splendid Sunday school room and an auditorium with a seating capacity of 700 Persons. The new building complete cost only $18,200 of which $10,650 are still unpaid.
The cogregation consists of about 450 members. The following persons have been active as Elders and Trustees up to the present time: Karl Schultz, Karl Spors, H. Grusnick, Herman Vogt, Ludwig Mallon, Theodor Vogt, Fr. Sponholtz, August Triebes, Karl Kuntz, W. Schellfer, August Keske, Joh. Trumpfheller, Friedrich Stuntz, R. Pause, Friedr. Piske, August Lenz, Friedr. Freiberg, Jacob Kraebel, W. Kammholtz, Leonhard Haag, W. Buckow, V. Freimann, August Spors, Adolf Schuessler, A. Becker, Fred. Piske, Wilh. Rittmann, Philip Leininger, Herman Harnick, J.A. Fries, Jun., Karl Rossow, George Biehl, August Baldauf, J.A. Fries, Sen., Rich. Piske, Karl Ensminger.
Caption under picture at center reads Evang. Ref. Emanual Church
Return to Indexes
Go on to Pages 307 - 311
Revised May 10, 2005